Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sleeping in transit...

Not once. Not twice but for so many times already that I went beyond my stop point to my way home. What a stupidity! And today, I did it again! Usually, I would ride a v-hire from Ayala Center to Bagongdaan that is about 30 kilometers in distance or on the average an hour of travel. The little comfort that the air-conditioned van offered must have worsened my sleepiness, thus making me slumber. Adding to that is the soothing music of Gary Valenciano and Leona Lewis continuously playing in my ears. And today, I must have really slept because I didn’t notice the van stopped. And when I opened my eyes and saw unfamiliar buildings, I knew I missed it again. This has always been the case.

I am not happy about this at all. In fact, I was a bit embarrassed with the rest of the people in the van. I wasn’t quick enough to pretend that I actually halted at the point where I should halt. I am still lucky I wasn’t robbed or hurt. I was a little scared as well because I know in the news and in the movies that people who sleep in transit would most probably be the victims of robbery and worst, rape. Well, the latter may not be the case for me but precaution is the keyword here.

I think I have learned the lesson. Never sleep while traveling especially if it’s just short distance. For people like me who fall asleep easily, an attempt is not even an option. I know that the moment you start to close those eyes, you can’t stop but lose energy to open them again. And chances are, you might not just miss your stop point, you might also suffer the worst.

For me, I think I should do something to keep me up while traveling. Maybe I should have a candy or a chewing gum. Text some friends but look out the window from time to time. Or maybe tell the driver in advance of the place I want him to pullover. Or any other way that I would not be in Basilan instead of just being in Davao. That would be so horrifying!

No comments: