Thursday, May 15, 2008

Missing OJTs...

My post today would be about our OJTs in the office. Regularly, our office accepts OJTs from the period March to May every year. Last year, I have only known 2 of the OJTs because we were late when we arrived from Victorias City. This time, we had 10 all from the University of San Carlos.

I was modestly insecure about them on a couple of things. First, because they were given an opportunity to have the training. In my time in college, although our program was a five-year course, we had never a program like that of an on the job training. What we had was a 9-unit Integrated Accounting subject where we invited prominent names in the field of accounting in Manila. But the problem however was they were not there on a regular basis. Most of the time, it was only us in the class. In other words, our time and money were simply spent for nothing. And for me, it was really nothing. I don’t even remember anything from that subject. In the case of our OJTs, thery are so lucky for even if they have not graduated yet, they already have an experience which they can boast in their resumes. They already know what it is working, dealing with other people, making reports and beating deadlines. If I had this in college, I would have been more prepared in applying for jobs after graduation.

Second thing I feel a little envious about is that they are still very young. I remember my old days and old friends when I was their age. I envy their innocence in some sense, their freedom and their overwhelming energy. Now that I aged a little, (give me some consolation here, okay? I am not really that old!), I feel that I need to focus more on my career and my life in the future. But I must say that I had enough being young. After all the state of happiness does not rely solely on time. We can be truly happy anytime.

When they were still here, the office became lighter. Lighter in the sense that they were so cheerful and laughing with them is totally a relief from the stressful work we do. Lighter also because they helped us with our work. This, I am so grateful for.

Gone, they were. The OJT-ship ended last week and it may sound corny but they left us half-empty. Suddenly there was no one around to help us out..Who would ask us what to do. Who would ask us something like they were our younger brothers and sisters. But that is what really life is all about. Some people may come and touch our lives and then leave. And then some other will come again. And the cycle continues. But the thing is every time, someone goes, there is always that little pain. Mingaw in the Cebuano dialect.


Mingawon jud mi ninyo Andy, Sanrio, Miguel, Kristine, Tani, DP, Melai, Jeannie, Ernst and Nicole! Thanks for everything! I hope you guys won’t forget me and the rest of us here when you become what you have been dreaming of.

In this light, let me quote Frederick Buechner. "There are all different kinds of voices calling you to all different kinds of work, and the challenge is to find out which is the voice of God rather than society or ego…. The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.”

Shodi tomilak! Keep in touch!

No comments: