Thursday, May 8, 2008

My greatest pleasure...

This would be my first entry for this blog and I am gonna talk about something I really love to do. Singing. Char! My family is not in any way musical although some of my siblings sing in church and play a little guitar. But that’s just it. Nothing very formal really.

Ever since I was a kid, I know I love music already. I would listen to the radio. I would hear my sisters and my other cousins sing and I would just sing along. I would write down lyrics of songs in a notebook. I even remember that I can memorize a song, both lyrics and melody in just a matter of hours. Could I be gifted like Lea Salonga? How I wish! When I was young I really thought I had a voice. My teachers in elementary would even want me to sing in school programs which I vehemently resisted. But had sang once though in one of the culmination program in the school.

In high school, I auditioned for a chorale competition. I had to sing the National Anthem based on the key given by the voice teacher. I did all my best but lost. The teacher told me that I was not out of key or tune but had to dismiss me because of my pitch. He said I had a female pitch. That means that I can’t sing male songs. I may be able to sing but with so much difficulty due to its high pitch. I was really puzzled. Could there be such a condition like that? But I do have a very big loud voice. How can it be?

Later, I realized that indeed, I can’t sing male songs. It is really hard for me. It would be either too low or too high for me. But who cares? I am no American Idol. I have all the right to sing whenever and wherever I like. Music lifts my spirit up. It keeps me cool. It soothes me. It makes me sleep. It makes me relax. I can’t live without it.

There are really some good songs that I can relate easily. Songs that can either make me cry or smile. Songs that can set me in the mood. I will be writing another article about these songs that really touch my heart.

Until then.

No comments: